WEEK 5 (2/16-2/22):
- 2/16/10 CLASS LECTURE: PEOPLE, PLANET AND PROFIT: Discussion on sustainability and the intersection of people, planet and profit. Explanation of greenwashing. Review of key tools in investigative environmental reporting. Guest lecture with Ben Champion, director of sustainability, Kansas State University (4 p.m.).
- Complete these readings/viewings before Week 6 class on 2/23
Authentic Green Vs. Greenwash
1) “Big Organics in Little Eco-Unfriendly Packages,” Natalie Hudson
2) “Maintaining the Integrity of Organic Milk,” Mark Alan Kastel (PDF, pgs. 4-10)
3) “Dairy: The Good News, The Bad News,” Sharon Kiley Mack
4) “Organic White House Garden Puts Some Conventional Panties in a Twist,” Jill Richardson
5) “Frito-Lay pitches its Lay’s potato chips as locally made,” USA Today
6) “How Locavores Brought on Local Washing,” Elisabeth Eaves
7 ) “The Seven Sins of Greenwashing,” TerraChoice Environmental Marketing Inc.
- Write a post for the blog by 5 p.m. on Friday 2/19. You may use this optional blog prompt (or write about whatever’s relevant): Define greenwashing and localwashing for yourself. What examples of these activities do you see in food marketing? Please put your name at the end of your posts and comments. Post under “Week 5” and the appropriate category.
- Respond to a colleague’s post and a comment to your post. Both are due by Sunday 2/21 at 5 p.m.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment